EL AL's Ecological Policy
In recognition of the fact that climate change constitutes one of today’s greatest environmental challenges globally, and keeping in mind the increasing demand for mobility in general and especially for flights, we at EL AL, the national airline of Israel, have undertaken to reduce the environmental impact of our activities.
Our main emphases are on actively reducing greenhouse gas emissions, conserving energy and controlling noise damage.
The earth’s natural resources are a public legacy which must be preserved for generations to come. With this in mind, and in cooperation with other parties, EL AL is working to ensure bio-friendly aviation in Israel. To this end, EL AL has joined the European Union’s Emission Trading Scheme, an initiative intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere. Since January 2010 all airlines flying to Europe, including EL AL, have monitored CO2 emissions. On March 31, 2011, EL AL submitted T/K & Emission reports approved by Verifier for 2010, to the country appointed Administering State Member. EL AL submits reports to Holland; Sun D'Or to Germany.
EL AL has invested extensive resources towards reducing the environmental impact of its activities. To this end, the airline conducts on-site inspections and monitors processes for identifying and analyzing environmental elements and developments. In addition, EL AL conducts a comprehensive environmental review every two years and is now in the process of introducing the ISO 14,001 standard.
An analysis of environmental aspects and risk factors is a tool not only for emergencies but also for analyzing and improving processes to prevent or reduce damage to the environment and harm to the employees, and to help the airline to continuously improve its environmental impact.
The main component in EL AL's environmental influence is greenhouse gas emissions from flights. Therefore EL AL has taken a series of steps:
- Purchase of aircraft with engines that are economical in terms of fuel consumption and environmental pollution.
- Purchase and integration of a program for efficient fuel consumption management for planes.
- Purchase of wingtip devices for use on appropriate aircraft.
- Creation of a data base for EL AL routes and use of the TIBCO.business program to optimize the choice of flight routes and times, in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition, EL AL is acting on land in the following ways:
- Treatment of liquid sewage and linking up to a modern sewage purification center.
- Storage of dangerous materials in the aircraft and orderly, methodical removal of dangerous waste to designated places.
- Collection and recycling of paper.
- Changing over to use of biodegradable bags.
- Handling oil leaks and collecting oil polluted rags.
- Collection and separation of waste products.
- Collection of metals and faulty parts and recycling wherever possible.
Server: 01, Date cached: 7/10/2014 4:47:44 AM