FAQ About EL AL Upgrade
- What is the EL AL Upgrade service for which I am submitting an offer?
The offer you are submitting is for the option of upgrading your flight ticket to Business Class. A passenger who has purchased an Economy Class flight ticket can submit an offer for Business Class flight tickets; an upgrade to First Class is not allowed.
If your reservation includes several passengers the offer will be relevant for all passengers on the same reservation. EL AL reserves the right to accept or reject the upgrade offer on certain flights, in line with criteria to be determined by EL AL and updated from time to time at EL AL's sole discretion, such as flight status, the amount of the offer, etc.
- For which flights is it possible to register for a EL AL Upgrade?
The EL AL Upgrade service is only available on the EL AL website for specific flights on commercial considerations as determined by EL AL, and at its sole discretion.
If the service is available for your flight, you can register in one of two ways:
- By purchasing a ticket on the EL AL website – at the end of the reservation process, a window will appear with an offer to upgrade your ticket, if your flight allows it.
- Using the reservation management interface available on the home page.
- How will I know if I am entitled to submit an upgrade proposal?
If you purchased a flight ticket on the EL AL website, a window will appear at the end of the reservation process. When purchasing through any other channel, the availability of the service can be checked via the reservation management interface on the home page.
- How do I submit an offer for an EL AL Upgrade?
You may submit an offer for an EL AL Upgrade in one of two ways:With a reservation on the EL AL website –
4.1 - At the end of the reservation process a window will appear on the page confirming the reservation with an offer to register for an upgrade. Clicking on this window will transfer you to the EL AL Upgrade system where you will be required to complete a process on three screens:
4.2 - Using the reservation management interface – If you did not choose to register for an upgrade at the end of the reservation process and you closed the window that appeared, you can reach the upgrade system using the reservation management interface at the following link.
- Offer the amount for an upgrade and choose the flight segment.
- Fill in credit card details which will be verified but will be not charged until the upgrade is approved, about 30 hours before the flight, or 48 hours before the flight in the case of an intervening Sabbath or holiday.
- Confirmation and submission of the offer details. After completion, an email message will be sent to you confirming your upgrade offer. You can later use this email to change (raise or lower) the offer or cancel it.
You will be required to fill in your reservation number and family name > and click on the Continue button. If the service is available for your flight, an Upgrade button will appear. Click the button to be transferred to the EL AL Upgrade system where you will be required to complete the entire process as described in clause 4.1 above.
- How is it decided to accept or reject the upgrade offer?
EL AL will examine and weigh upgrade offers submitted to EL AL Upgrade according to several criteria and commercial laws as determined by EL AL and updated from time to time at EL AL's sole discretion. These include: flight status, the amount of the offer, etc. About 30 hours before the flight, or 48 hours before the flight in the case of an intervening Sabbath or holiday, a decision will be taken whether to accept or reject the upgrade offer and notification will be sent to the passengers accordingly.
- Do I have to pay for submitting an offer for an upgrade?
No. there is no charge for submitting an upgrade offer. If you are awarded the upgrade, the cost of your upgrade offer will be debited from your credit card.
- When can I submit an upgrade offer?
An upgrade offer can be submitted from the moment you hold a ticketed reservation, as long as the service is available through the EL AL site.
- Can I change/cancel the upgrade offer after it has been submitted?
Yes. You can change/cancel the upgrade offer through the upgrade system up to 72 hours before flight time. Access to the upgrade system is possible through a link to the system appearing on the email you received confirming registration for an upgrade or through the reservation management interface.
- Is there a minimum upgrade offer?
Each flight has a range of prices from which you can select the amount you are interested in submitting as an upgrade offer.
- How will I know that my offer was accepted and that the upgrade was approved?
About 30 hours before flight time – or 48 hours before flight time if there is an intervening Saturday or holiday – you will receive an email confirming your upgrade. Afterwards you can check in for Business Class online.
If the upgrade is not approved, you will receive an email informing you of this.
- If I submitted offers for my two flight segments, when will I receive notification confirming/rejecting the upgrade offers?
You will receive separate notification for each flight segment, about 30 hours before flight time, or in the case of an intervening Saturday or holiday about 48 hours before flight time.
- When will my credit card be debited for the upgrade?
You must enter your credit card details when registering for an upgrade, so that the card can be verified with the credit card company. The amount you offered will be debited when you are awarded the upgrade. If you are not awarded the upgrade your card will not be debited.
- What are the conditions of my ticket if I receive confirmation of an upgrade to Business Class?
Your ticket conditions will be same as for the original ticket you purchased, in terms of cancelation fee, change fee, minimum and maximum stay and other limitations.
- What benefits do I receive as part of my upgrade to Business Class?
The benefits are the same as for Business Class passengers:
- Check-in at Business Class counters
- Hand luggage and hold baggage benefits – for additional details see the following link
- Hospitality in the Business Lounges in Terminal 3 and inflight Business Class service. Note that in case EL AL cancels the upgrade for any reason, you will be returned to your original status on your flight in Economy Class, be reseated in Economy Class and will be entitled to a full refund of the sum offer for upgrade.
- What happens if I have to cancel/change my flight after receiving confirmation of the upgrade?
The request for the upgrade and confirmation of the upgrade are valid for the specific flight for which you submitted an offer that was accepted.
It is not possible to transfer your upgrade confirmation to a flight on another date. But you can submit a new offer for an upgrade on other flight.
This is to clarify that in cases of changes/cancelations made after receiving confirmation of the upgrade by the passenger; the amount that was offered for the upgrade will not be refunded and cannot serve as payment for an upgrade on another date
- If I am a Matmid member, will I receive upgraded points in my Club account?
No. Points for Matmid members will be calculated on the basis of the original Class for which the reservation was made and not for the Business Class in which the passenger actually flew.
- Can I select my seat in Business Class?
If your request for an upgrade is confirmed by email 30 hours before flight time – or 48 hours before flight time in the case of an intervening Saturday or holiday –you will be able to select your seat on the flight in Business Class on a space available basis when Express Check-in opens, or your seat will be assigned by the attendant at the Business Class counter at the airport.
- If I receive confirmation of an upgrade, will the special meal I ordered for Economy Class be served to me in Business Class?
All special requests recorded for the original flight ticket in Economy Class will be transferred when you are upgraded to Business Class, including special meals.
- If the upgrade is canceled by EL AL, what recompense am I entitled to, and when and how will I receive it?
If the upgrade is canceled by EL AL you are entitled to a full monetary refund of the amount you offered and were debited for. The refund will be transferred to the credit card company within 14 work days. Your account will be credited by the credit card company in accordance with your agreement with the credit card company. In cases of such a cancelation, you will be returned to your original status in Economy Class and will be reseated in Economy Class according to the seats available at the time (it is hereby clarified that there is no certainty that your original seat will be available).
- Does a Business Class flight ticket entail additional taxes?
France and England levy additional taxes for Business Class flight tickets. The additional taxes will be paid by the passenger and will be calculated as part of the amount offered for the upgrade per direction. The exact amounts of taxes will appear on the first screen of the upgrade registration process.
- We are flying as a couple or family. Does our registration for an upgrade ensure that we will receive/not receive an upgrade as a couple/family?
Yes, as long as everyone is registered on the same reservation.
- Can I submit an offer for an upgrade on only one flight segment?
Yes. You can choose whether to submit an upgrade offer for departure, return or round trip. The offer is divided into flight segments and you have to submit an offer for each segment. You may also submit different offers for each flight segment.
- If I purchased the ticket through a flight agent, the EL AL Service Center or an EL AL Store, how do I submit an upgrade offer?
You can access the upgrade system through the reservation management interface at the following link
you will be required to enter your reservation number and family name and then click on Continue. If the service is available on your flight, an Upgrade window will appear. Clicking it will transfer you to the EL AL Upgrade system where you will complete the process.
- If I want to contact EL AL about EL AL Upgrade, whom do I contact after I have submitted an offer?
For the following matters – complaints about inflight service, complaints about the upgrade process, complaints about refunds, suggestions for greater efficiency, and praise – please contact EL AL’s Customer Relations Department
Complaints subject to the operation of the upgrade process should be addressed by email to email@example.com
Server: 03, Date cached: 10/1/2014 5:40:57 AM